Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The Lord's Correction

First a little humor and then we become serious, maybe too serious. Hope not.

A taxpayer received a strongly worded "second notice" that his taxes were overdue. Hastening to the collector's office, he paid his bill, saying apologetically that he had overlooked the first notice.

"Oh," confided the collector with a smile, "we don't send out first notices. We have found that the second notices are more effective."
From ,Pastor Tim

*********************

During my devotions this morning the Lord spoke to me, or I should say chastised me. I was reading Philippians chapter four. Let me quote it here and later I will explain why this spoke to me.

4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your graciousness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. 6 Don’t worry about anything, but in everything, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses every thought, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
8 Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable—if there is any moral excellence and if there is any praise—dwell on these things. 9 Do what you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, and the God of peace will be with you.
Phil 4:3-9 (HCSB)


I realized I was spending far too much time being concerned about the world situation and not enough time concentrating on my attitude toward God and the fact that He is in control. Christians need to be aware of the world situation. However we need to keep it in balance. Right or wrong I think that Christians have spent too much of their time with their attention focused on church activities without proper regard for what is going on in the world around us. The Lord Jesus Christ said we need to be the salt of the world. How can we do this if we do not know what the world situation is and speak our minds in Christian love. We Christians have been intimidated too long. We need to be informed and use our vote to correct what the liberals have imposed upon us.

Balance, everything in balance; Christian world view vs the world ' s view.

"In spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart. I simply can't build up my hopes on a foundation consisting of confusion, misery, and death. I see the world gradually being turned into a wilderness, I hear the ever-approaching thunder, which will destroy us too. I can feel the sufferings of millions, and yet, if I look up into the heavens, I think that it will all come right, that this cruelty too will end, and that peace and tranquility will return again."
Anne Frank (1929-1945)


"Nobody studies peace. There are no courses in peace, no examinations, no discoveries, and alas, no advances. We are no farther on the road to peace than were the ancient Greek city- states, and perhaps we're farther away."
Sydney J. Harris (1917-1986)


"Peace won by compromise is usually a short-lived achievement."
Winfield Scott (1786-1866)


"The storm was raging. The sea was beating against the rocks in huge, dashing waves. The lightning was flashing, the thunder was roaring, the wind was blowing; but the little bird was sound asleep in the crevice of the rock, its head tucked serenely under its wing. That is peace: to be able to sleep in the storm! In Christ we are relaxed and at peace in the midst of the confusions, bewilderments, and perplexities of this life. The storm rages, but our hearts are at rest. We have found peace-at last!"
Billy Graham (1918- )

*********************

"World opinion" is worthless By Dennis Prager

"If you are ever morally confused about a major world issue, here is a rule that is almost never violated: Whenever you hear that "world opinion" holds a view, assume it is morally wrong.
And here is a related rule if your religious or national or ethnic group ever suffers horrific persecution: "World opinion" will never do a thing for you. Never. "

To read the complete article click on the link below.

No comments: