Saturday, May 08, 2010

Preaching: John 3:16

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. --John 3:16

I have heard that John 3:16 is a favorite preaching text for young
preachers, but I confess that as far as I can recall, I have never had the courage to prepare and preach a sermon with John 3:16 as my text. I suppose I have quoted it as many as 15,000 or 20,000 times in prayer and in testimony, in writing and in preaching, but never as a sermon text....

I think my own hesitation to preach from John 3:16 comes down to this: I appreciate it so profoundly that I am frightened by it--I am overwhelmed by John 3:16 to the point of inadequacy, almost of despair. Along with this is my knowledge that if a minister is to
try to preach John 3:16 he must be endowed with great sympathy and a genuine love for God and man....

So, I approach it. I approach it as one who is filled with great fear and yet great fascination. I take off my shoes, my heart shoes, at least, as I come to this declaration that God so loved the world. Christ the Eternal Son, pp.85-86.

"Lord, I take off my 'heart shoes' this morning as well as I contemplate this awesome thought. I bow before You in fear and fascination before this text--but also just at the incredible task and privilege of preaching and teaching any portion of Your inspired Word. Amen."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today's "Insight for Leaders" is taken by permission from the book, Tozer on Christian Leadership, published by WingSpread Publishers


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: